I’ve recently discovered that white cabbage, sliced and sauteed until soft in butter can make an excellent substitute for linguine-style pasta! It’s a great vegetable to have on hand as another option alongside the ubiquitous courgetti and cauliflower rice which have become the mainstay of many a low-carb meal. The delicate cabbagey flavour pairs well with this hearty pork shoulder stew bursting with smoked paprika. I like to cook meat stews in my Instant Pot, a fabulous pressure cooker which turns tough cuts of meat tender and falling apart in just 20 minutes.
Hearty smoked paprika pork stew with shredded white cabbage as a low-carb pasta replacement.
- 700g Pork Shoulder
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- 100g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 150mL Sour Cream
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 green or white cabbage
- Add the pork shoulder, red pepper, tomatoes and smoked paprika to the Instant Pot and cook on ‘Meat’ setting for 20 minutes (Alternatively, bake in an oven-proof dish until the meat is tender).
- Meanwhile, shred the white cabbage into linguine sized strands and soften in a frying pan for 5 minutes with plenty of butter.
- Vent the Instant Pot and turn to ‘Sautee’ mode. Break up the softened pork chunks with a spatula. Add in the sliced mushrooms and heat through for 5 minutes
- Turn off the Instant Pot heat and stir in the sour cream. Add salt, pepper to taste. Why not try a little hot sauce or chilli flakes to spice things up!
- Serve a generous ladleful of stew over the sauteed cabbage